RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION STRATEGIES FOR THE MODERN WORKFORCE
16 Sep 2021
The hiring process is a very important aspect of running a business. Every business will at some point have to hire employees, and even though business rises or falls on the strength of the people in it, hiring the right people is not as easy as it sounds, and can be tough all on its own.
Recruitment involves attracting, selecting and developing the right candidates for open positions within an organisation. Recruitment can be formal or informal. The selection process however, is usually more formal as it needs to comply with certain rules and regulations. So, developing clear and effective recruitment and selection strategies is very important.
However, because we live in a time that is distinct from any other in history, it is very important for business leaders to stay abreast with the changes in technology and how it affects their businesses. This also finds relevance in the recruitment and selection process. Despite the changing times, the importance of hiring correctly has not changed, and a wrong selection can impact a business negatively in several ways.
Therefore, there are a few things to keep in mind_ and things you need to be aiming for when hiring in these times;
1. Define your goals. Since every successful process begins with goal setting, be sure to spell out exactly what you want out of the recruitment process. Get clear about the type of candidate you want to attract and the kind of employee you need on your team.
2. Attract and encourage as many qualified candidates as possible to apply to the organisation. This can involve using both formal and informal methods. The goal is to create a large pool of applicants from which you can choose. And sometimes, a smaller number can become an obstacle to finding the best fit for the job. So, you want to make sure that you reach as many people. Some suggestions to do this include: LinkedIn, Specialised sourcing tools like Sourceress, TopFunnel, triplebyte, etc, Candidate relationship management(CRM) tools, Email, Employee referral, Social media.
3. Continuously build a candidate pool from which to review and pull from when needed.
4. Review business needs constantly and review job descriptions. Make adjustments as required.
5. Understand the business needs, mission, vision and values. This helps refine your selection process and creates a selection process that is focused on suitable candidates so that you easily sieve out the unsuitable ones.
6. Create a budget for your recruitment plan. This helps you avoid overspending and ruining your entire recruitment plan.
7. Design an onboarding process that sets candidates up for success. Engaging your new employees properly helps create a team that is committed to the company's success and helps retain new hires by making them feel like a member of the team.
Since a company is only as good as the people it employs, having a solid recruitment and selection process that is modern, consistent and well-checked plays a vital role. If you need help in making your company succeed in this area, you can consult with us. At HR on Wheels, we combine strategic HR expertise, technology, and managed services to grow your people and your brand. Sign up with us on our website today. Click here.
What are some of the common challenges you have encountered with recruitment and selection in your SME or startup. Feel free to share with us in the comment section below.